You’ve heard of General Gau’s or General Tso’s chicken? It’s breaded, deep fried and covered in thick sauce. Delicious! Unfortunately, it’s hard to make and bad for you, too. Instead of that, look to a modern general who likes healthy food. Look to the king of all the easy chicken recipes: “General Doug’s Chicken.”
Ingredients needed for this Easy Chicken Recipe
- Glass baking dish
- White wine
- Poultry seasoning
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
How to make General Doug’s Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Cut open chicken breasts package and place one breast at a time on a cutting board. Trim off any fat.
- As you trim them, place the breasts into your glass baking dish. Don’t crowd.
- Pour white wine over the breasts until the pan has a layer of wine on the bottom, somewhere between 1/4″ and 3/8″ inch (0.5 to 0.75 cm).
- Sprinkle poultry seasoning liberally over the breasts (it’ll look almost like bread crumbs).
- Cook for about one hour (learn your oven; cooking times vary by maybe fifteen minutes) until a quick read thermometer registers over 170 °F (78 °C).
- Let stand outside the oven for ten minutes.
Note: the USDA and other health authorities may recommend eating chicken only after it has reached a higher temperature. This tends to dry the chicken out. Err on the side of “hot” and let the wine keep the chicken moist.
- Slice length-wise into thin strips and serve in sandwiches
- Serve whole as a healthy protein source alongside steamed vegetables, brown rice, and a cherry-port reduction
- Dice and use in soups or other recipes calling for cooked chicken
- Poultry seasoning can be purchased in bulk at a very low price per pound in the Spanish food or Spanish spices section of the grocery store.
- A box of white wine might be half the price per gallon as a bottle and will last as suitable cooking wine for many months.
Total BagPack carrying weight: weight of chicken (< 1 lb per breast).
Price per serving: at sale price of $3/lb, about $1.50 (depending on appetite :).
Once you know how the recipe works, you can do the prep for six breasts in about five minutes. Then it’s about an hour of cooking time. The breasts will stay in the fridge for a week. This surely is the easiest of the easy chicken recipes! It’s a healthy dinner recipe and very versatile for other meals, as well.